My Blog List

Friday, May 30, 2008

Some ideas on Solving Subsidized Petrol Problems in Malaysia

I am reluctant to touch on this subject because many might think my ideas are cruel, but I assure you it is for the benefits of all Malaysians in the long run. So, may I ask you to read on please? Here are the strategies

(1) Cut the Bleeding Arm
The quick fix for all the petrol smugglings, inappropriate consumptions, & you-name-it ..etc. : START SELLING AT NON-SUBSIDIZED PRICES. PERIOD. Don't curse me yet. We need stern policy to get things right top-down. Do it the decisive way. Clean cut, bukan soap opera. (OK, enough). WIth this, lots of administrative works of government will be reduced too, not only the subsidies to those non-entitling parties (sorry to my Singaporean friends loh).
Brilliant right? Now Malaysians will finally realise petrols are precioius. Wastage will be reduced naturally. Probably Malaysians will be more healthy, walk more drive less mah.

(2) Rewards and Penalties
When (1) is implemented, lower income people with own transports will be affected, immediately. To solve this problem of short-term shock, a immediate subsidy should be provided to those entitling vehicle owners directly, eg. Check , direct bank-in, and etc. Comon, you know where to send the Speeding Ticket, then you should know where to send us the moneyyy. JPJ have our records, IRD have our records, blah blah blah. Of course, a careful formula need to be worked out on deciding what type of vehicles entitling to what amount of subsidies. And I do suggest 2.0L and above, get Zero subsidy. 3.0L and above, get to pay additional for Luxury Tax. (or even make it illegal to own 3L car, I don't care). Now you like me better? And I assume you don't drive a Hammer, do you? kekeke. For mid to long term, integrate this whole thing into the income tax form, like adding a row for Petrol Consumption Rebate. Likewise, for the manufacturing / transport industries, tax rebate as subsidy.

(3) Let them Dog Eat Dog for Malaysians' sakes
This is the best part, I love this. Now petrol stations sales will be affected, how to attract customers? Cut your prices lah. Cut your margin, hire less workers. Easy licenses don't mean easy money OK. Walk an extra mile, won't you? (err.. I should start marketing electric fly swatter to those petrol stations taukeh..) akekekek.

My simple closing statement: We Malaysians need to be more efficient. PERIOD. (opps, period means more bleeding :D) FULL STOP.

No comments:

Words borrowed from Dr. Alexander Elder:

Trading is so exciting that it often makes amateurs feel high ...Nobody can get high and make money at the same time.

Latest Posts!

Blog Directory

Google Search